Monday, October 27, 2008

photo request #13: glass elevator from c&tcf


my friend clare scott requested a photo of the top of a building at the corner of madison and colorado that she claimed looked like the glass elevator from charlie and the chocolate factory. i was skeptical until the other day, when i found it! you've seen the trio apartment building before on this blog, but the building right next to is it what clare was thinking of. doesn't that look exactly like your visions of the great glass elevator?


back to how i found it... i was shopping at trader joe's the other day and spotted clare's elevator from the top of the parking garage. as you can see from this photo, even though it was way across town knew exactly what she meant. my zoom didn't capture it well enough, so i took off and headed toward the building. i quickly realized that you can't see it when you get really close, and it is hard to get a good shot from far away. i ended up using the above photo to capture the building and a bit of its surroundings.

and for those with a sharp eye, in the parking garage shot, you can see the bell tower that has also been featured on this blog.

from the comments - docker over at mixed meters has some more great pictures of this very building.

14 comments:

David Ocker said...

I posted several shots of the "lighthouse" last June here. It's rather a perplexing architectural feature for land-locked Pasadena.

ben wideman said...

Thanks for the link! I've added your blog to my list of SGV bloggers - not sure why it wasn't there before now!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what it's original purpose was....Maybe it was a top floor terrarium. It's not really an elevator is it? Ben, you've introduced me to something I didn't know about. I like it

ben wideman said...

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it's just some form of light structure. I'm not sure why it is needed for on top of that building... maybe that's where Batman sends out his signals.

Petrea Burchard said...

It's one of my favorite structures, or structure adornments, in all of Pasadena. I look at it all the time and have a deep desire to get in there and climb the stairs and find out more about it.

Shall we?

Petrea Burchard said...

David, I didn't have you on my blogroll either. Sorry for the oversight. I fixed it.

Has anyone noticed how user-friendly the word verifications have been lately? Mine this time is "ovals." Gee.

David Ocker said...

if anyone figures out how to get access to that roof, I'd love to come along. (It doesn't look human friendly.)

Thanks for the adds Ben & Petrea - I tried to return the favor, only to discover that the website which handles my own blogroll (http://blogrolling.com/) is functional but inaccessible - meaning I can't change anything until their server heals. But I promise to put you on a to-do list. Pasadenaaadjacent too.

David

ben wideman said...

we should climb the stairs! Is it even possible?? my word verification is expolown - weird.

pasadenapio said...

I haven't seen that movie. I feel left out!

Petrea Burchard said...

Next time I have a chance I'll just stop in and ask. It can't hurt.

Rerablom.

Cafe Observer said...

I've actually been in that bldg. Lookin 4 new office space a few yrs back. 1 of the selling points from the leasing agent: you can watch the Rose Parade from your office.

It looks much better from the outside than in. A lot of therapists, I recall, are in this bldg.

Clare Scott said...

Thanks for the photos everyone - glad it sparked some interest. Let me know if you have an expedition to the top of the building. I'd love to come along too!

Here's an extract from the 1971 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' with Gene Wilder and friends smashing out of the roof of the factory in the glass elevator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQtV7P-L0sk&feature=related

See what I mean?

Laurie Allee said...

Oh, that is so cool!

ben wideman said...

Thanks for the clip Clare!