Tuesday, May 27, 2008

photo request #2: a blooming yuca plant


a little while back i asked for photo requests. palm axis, a faithful reader of this blog suggested that i get shot of the beautiful yucca plant that is currently blooming all over southern california. my quest had been unsuccessful until a trip to the la county museum of art. their fantastic "phantom sightings: art after the chicano movement" exhibit included an artist named margarita cabrera and her artwork. as you can see, it included the above vw bug as well as cactus and a blooming yucca plant made from reclaimed border patrol uniforms. very cool indeed - and the perfect way to snap off a photo that filled the request of my reader, and yet was also very uniquely different (much like her wonderful blog). go check out this exhibit in person if you are in the area.

thanks so much for the photo suggestion, and everyone else can feel free to keep the photo suggestions coming. i still have a few more requests to fulfill, they should be posted in the next few weeks.

8 comments:

Olivier said...

surprenante cette photo, avec cette voiture culte : la célèbre coccinelle.
Surprisingly this picture, with this car worship: the famous Beetle.

Michael Coppess said...

I really enjoy your photography and perspectives on our city. Some possible future subjects: the rose covered pergola in front of the ninth circuit court (Grand Ave.), fireworks on july 4th at the rose bowl, Millard Canyon.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Wow, that was an unexpected take on the subject matter. Very good grasshopper.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I just followed through to Ms Cabrera's web site. Loved the stuffed Hummer.

ben wideman said...

thank you everyone for the lovely comments again.

Palm: you're right about the hummer. I wonder if it has ever been showcased around here?

Michael: very cool suggestions. I really need to do more snooping around the 9th Circuit Court and I've never been to Millard Canyon - very good ideas!

Petrea Burchard said...

Ben: one of the lovely things about daily photoblogging here in Pasadena, I think, is that we regularly challenge ourselves to discover the new. Some days I'm more up to it than others. But being constantly on the lookout has opened me to my surroundings. What a blessing.

This post is indicative of Ms. Cabrera's creativity and imagination as well as yours.

ben wideman said...

well said Petrea, I couldn't agree more. and I must admit that your work inspires me to be more aware of some of the areas of Pasadena I don't often notice.

Petrea Burchard said...

That was a sweet thing to say. Likewise, friend Ben.