Saturday, March 06, 2010

the slaw dogs


i kept hearing great things about the slaw dogs. even their yelp page has some pretty amazing reviews. living in virginia meant that i was no stranger to putting coleslaw on a hot dog, and after checking out the reviews i discovered that there was more to them than just that.

on thursday we decided we needed to go check it out for ourselves. their menu was incredibly large, and almost overwhelming, but after deciding it took only a few minutes for our order to arrive. the dogs were excellent, and so were the sweet potato fries. at about $20 for two people, it certainly isn't too expensive. although I did find myself still wanting something more after polishing off my "thai slaw dog" and sharing an order of fries. it is worth checking out.


as noted in the comments, the slaw dogs was just selected as a la times "find".

14 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

Had my first slaw dog in Atlanta at the Varsity. They are pretty good huh?!

Anonymous said...

$20 for two hotdogs? I think I'll pass.

CarinaOst said...

If you wanna be totally full go for the TNT, it's dynamite

Cafe Observer said...

I’ve been there a couple times. As recently as last week. So far, so good. Each time I leave the SD’s I stop in at PolkaTots my fav cupcake joint, say Hi to the girls & try their tasty cupcakes on my way to the parking lot!

Lunch & dessert close together again.

wv= LAEATER. (Really!)

ben wideman said...

I don't understand Cafe - WV = LA Eater?

Explain...

Kat said...

Slaw dogs is great and they just hit "The Find" in the LA Times food section this week. My husband and I were there last night and the owner, a nice guy who is passionate about hot dog culture, is really excited. It's a great local business, great food and worth supporting!

Cafe Observer said...

BW, wv (word verification) is Bloggers words to help verify spammers from non. LAeater is the word they gave me this time!

And listen to Kat! She knows the Hot Dogs!

ben wideman said...

AH! That makes sense. Huh, curious.

I assumed that since I had mentioned Virginia in the post you were equating eating in LA as being similar to living in West Virginia...

Makes much more sense now.

Laurie Allee said...

I used to eat sliced hot dogs on top of cole slaw. ANd here I thought I made it up...

Last hot dog place I went to was Pinks about 15 years ago. They do hot dogs at The Hat, right? I was so overwhelmed with the chili fries at The Hat I don't recall much else about it.

Cool post, Ben.

Kelly said...

I think I'm going to check that place out after you and Chad mentioned it this week!

Anonymous said...

We think the concept is great but the execution needs a bit of work. We chatted up the owner when we were last there to let him know that with such quality items INSIDE the bun, they might consider using much more quality buns themselves. Why use a plain white Wonder-type hot dog bun with all those quality ingredients stacked inside? Left us with mixed emotions.

On the positive side, we are told that they are looking into better buns.

ben wideman said...

I totally agree.

Love your blog by the way!

Anonymous said...

The craziest thing about Slaw Dogs? The best thing they make is a burger called, "The Purist". I believe it's still not officially on their menu.

ben wideman said...

Really... a secret hidden menu item??? I'm intrigued!!!