Tuesday, March 31, 2009

beer in los angeles?


lets face it - there are several great west coast beer towns - seattle, portland, san francisco, and san diego - but los angeles has never been mentioned in the same breath as these. that may be about to change. with a small group of very interesting breweries in the area, the scene is beginning to change for the better.

eatdrinkplay.com is putting together the l.a. beer fest, and it is happening soon. the list of participating brewers is exciting and lengthy, and also kind of strange - like why are macro breweries like budweiser and pabst attending along side of regional micros lagunitas, pizza port, or the bruery? - signs that this is their first attempt at a festival of this nature, or maybe they just want to attract the largest possible group and not just the beer nerds (i'm also sad to note that pasadena's craftsman brewing company isn't listed in those who are attending (photo above)).

more info can be found at their website (right here), and i'll be giving a full report of my experience next week!

9 comments:

B SQUARED said...

AHHHHH! BEER.

Barbara said...

We've just started enjoying the designer brews...it is fun!

ben wideman said...

It sure is! You have just as wide of variety of beer as you do with wine, and its much cheaper!

Cafe Pasadena said...

Why isn't it called, EatDrinkStudy.com?

Maybe, bw, you can start that one.

ben wideman said...

I'll see what I can do.

Kathryn L said...

Hey Ben,
The Toronto beer festival also has the big name breweries show up and I think it's just like you suggested, the big guys help fund and support the event which allows the small perhaps better breweries the chance to attract a new audience. It's a good marketing scheme on their part to attract the little guys.

ben wideman said...

I guess so - but it seems like the people who want to drink budweiser, are probably not going to go to a beer festival, but maybe I'm assuming something that isn't true. On the other hand, if the large guys allow the promoters to make the event bigger than they originally hoped, then I guess it's a good thing.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I plan on attending. Look for me, I'll be wearing this

ben wideman said...

Awesome PA, I'll keep my eyes open for you.