Monday, February 23, 2009

i'm a nerd


my friend matt has a theory that we're all nerdy about something - some of us may try and pretend that's not true, but that just means you do a good job hiding your nerdiness. i think he's spot on.

so confession time - i'm a nerd about fantasy baseball. yesterday i paid money to go to a three hour lecture on fantasy baseball strategy (in neighboring arcadia, ca), given by other notable fantasy nerds, jeff erickson, todd zola, and most notably - ron shandler (left to right). in a room of about 100 other (mostly white, middle-aged, and male) nerds, we talked about thrilling topics like "5 hot prospects most at risk of failing", "8 undervalued veterens over 30", and "8 stars to risky to roster".

anyone else willing to admit to their inner nerd?

12 comments:

Laurie Allee said...

Bigtime nerd, here. I have a couple of dozen books about various aspects of theoretical physics. I post to several LOST message boards. I love gadgets and have been known to browse at Radio Shack. I understand jokes that include the line "all your base are belong to us." I sometimes help my nephew with choices for his cosplay outfits...

ben wideman said...

that is quite the list Laurie! thanks for sharing.

ben wideman said...

I assume some people would think daily blogging is pretty nerdy too.

Anonymous said...

Nope, not a chance. I did go to school with a baseball man. Jim Gott (he was with the Dodgers).

Anonymous said...

No I'm never a nerd, well, rarely, hardly ever, once in awhile, maybe hourly.

ben wideman said...

PA - that's pretty cool!

AH - my sentiments exactly.

Cafe Pasadena said...

I need to hang out with a trendier crowd.

ben wideman said...

That's just it - regardless of who you are, there is some aspect of your hobbies or interests that is nerdy. Even the trendiest of us make that their nerd item. Hipsters are nerdy about being hip.

Laurie Allee said...

Wahh! I'm alone in my confessions! Fine, Ben. You and I are the two nerds sitting with all the cool kids.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh god, Laurie is such a whiner. OK! I'm nerdy about comfort books. Whenever this old world scares me to death, I get out some English cozy with mannered diction. Happy now?

Sarah Jane said...

I'm so nerdy I don't know where to begin my confession. So, I'll just name one thing. I love to watch amateur cooking videos/shows spoken in broken english. I listen to them while cooking and doing dishes. It makes me tingly and very calm.

Sarah Jane said...

Oh, yeah, I'm definitely nerdy about blogging, too.