Sunday, July 11, 2010

colorado street bridge celebration


 this event is a local tradition here in pasadena.  although last year's event was canceled due to lack of funds, this year's event went off with much success (at least in terms of turn out!).  the beautiful colorado street bridge was packed with people, food vendors, activities, music stages, and festivities.  plenty of food and fun was to be had.

this was my first time at the event.  a few initial reactions - this is a fund raiser for pasadena heritage.  and they got our funds.  $15 to enter the street fair, followed by more money spent on food, drinks, and dessert.  it was certainly not a night of free fun and cheap eats.  on the other hand it was clearly an event that was totally unique to pasadena - how many other towns close down a historic bridge to throw a party?  the setting was truly beautiful with the vista del arroyo hotel to one side, and the rose bowl lit up with lights from the ongoing soccer game on the other.  it was also packed.  as the above photo shows, walking was not easy, especially near the popular food and drink booths, or around the music stages.  i think we were even more tuned in to this fact because we had a baby in a stroller, making it even harder to navigated the crowded street.

nevertheless we had a great time.  kudos to the planners.  i hope to see this event continue!

7 comments:

Bellis said...

This is an annual highlight of our life in Pasadena, a feel-good evening. Spent the evening dancing to Snotty Scottie and the Hankies at Light Post 9, did you get down that far? I see you photographed the line for Craftsman Beers - hope you got some, as they ran out by 9:30.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Elbow to elbow crowds, eck. I'll take a pass, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

ben wideman said...

Ya, it was fun to try once. I did get a Craftsman beer, although they were out of Orange Grove Ale by the time I got to the taps. I also grabbed a brew from my friends at Eagle Rock Brewing.

We walked the whole bridge, so I'm sure we walked by where you were standing, Bellis!

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm glad you got to go. Packed! Wow, what a crowd. It does seem a little much. When it gets that crowded it's not fun for me, either, although I enjoy being on the bridge without a car.

ben wideman said...

Were you there, P? I had my eyes open, but didn't see you. There were an awful lot of people I guess.

Petrea Burchard said...

No, we were over-obligated yesterday and couldn't make it. I was already worn out by 6:00.

Gina said...

We were out of town and had to miss it, but it looked like fun; just for the unique setting if for no other reason. Next year...