Saturday, October 16, 2010
cd saturday: sara watkins' self-titled album
the incredibly talented sara watkins has long been recognized as an amazing violinist and active member of the music industry. for years she was part of nickel creek (a band i've already featured in my countdown), and has worked on a variety of side projects as well.
her self-titled 2009 release is just about as good as it gets. here sara's charming voice and musical styling shine through. at moments she has a feisty attitude such as on the track "long hot summer day" (the inspiration for today's photo), while on others she has an angelic softness on "my friend" or her take on "give me jesus".
those who live in the los angeles area have the chance to check out sara and her brother sean play frequently during the watkins family hour - a semi-regular night of music at the largo, and one of my favorite things to do in this area.
are you ready for #20? only one album left on my favorite 20 album list.
1. u2 - the joshua tree
2. dave matthews band - crash
3. cake - comfort eagle
4. blue rodeo - five days in july
5. the beach boys - pet sounds
6. coldplay - viva la vida
7. weezer - pinkerton
8. mates of state - re-arrange us
9. radiohead - ok computer
10. nickel creek - this side
11. u2 - how to dismantle an atomic bomb
12. the beatles - the white album
13. sloan - one chord to another
14. o.a.r. - risen
15. paul simon - graceland
16. jack johnson - brushfire fairytales
17. led zeppelin - iv
18. belle & sebastian - the life pursuit