Wednesday, April 29, 2009

brix 42


somehow a new brewpub opened in old town pasadena without me hearing about it. come on blog readers! you gotta help me out! so last night meredith and i went down to check it out. i'm happy to report good things. sure, brix 42 occupies a venue that has been home to failed restaurant after failed restaurant, but maybe this place can break that trend.


so here is my review:

they have 5 well made beers, and you can order them separately ($4 each, or $3 during happy hour, or $2!! on thursdays) or all of them in a 3 oz. sampler for $6. the food was decent - mostly american pub fare - and is especially reasonable if you stick with the happy hour menu and prices. i had a ceasar salad, and sausage made with ale over peppers, onions and garlic mashed potatoes for $6 - prices we all can afford. the service was fantastic because at 5:30, we were one of only a handful of tables that were actually in use. we need to change that... go check them out and keep them in business!

15 comments:

Hilda said...

So many choices! Hope it breaks the location's seeming bad luck!

TeamSplashi said...

I could not see if they have any IPA`s and what about seasonal brew.

Cheers

ben wideman said...

Hilda, I totally agree.

Team Splashi, I was told they will be releasing an IPA next week. No seasonals for now, but that could change.

Cafe Observer said...

I thought: sounds like bw is talkin bout the place on S. DeLacey in Oldie Town.
And I was right!

Some places were made to be empty. We'll see if you drink enuf there to keep this latest joint open.

Anonymous said...

What used to be around here -- Club 44? I s that what it was called. Loved that place. Will check this one out.

ben wideman said...

Cafe, I can't do it alone!

AH, I think it used to be Dena House, Union Cattle Co, Pasadena Brewing Co, and the list goes on and on...

Amanda Mae said...

ok... we are going here tomorrow for happy hour. settled.

Anonymous said...

I want the beer on the far right. Ever wonder why the "early bird special" occurs at the same time as "happy hour"?

pasadenapio said...

God, I wish I liked beer. Never have, never will. I miss out on all the fun.

ben wideman said...

PA - that is curious... the early bird gets the happy hour!

PIO - like wine, I feel like you just need to find YOUR beer. There are enough styles out there that there has to be one for you!

Kevin said...

This is great to see what Pasadena is like now. I grew up there but left in 1980 after high school. Everything looks more sophisticated now, I guess like everywhere else! Flew by on the 210 heading out to Santa Barbara a few nonths ago but didn't have time to stop.

ben wideman said...

Kevin, I'm glad I could give you a glimpse at Pasadena today.

Petrea Burchard said...

Next blogger happy hour. Must do Brix 42

1916home.net said...

Ohh hell I am there. But, #1 when does happy hour end? and #2 what about a Marzen beer? I miss Gordon Biersch immensely to be honest, and now Manny's is gone. I'm losing reasons to go to Pasadena anymore. With me being in between Pasadena and Victoria Gardens, the cheaper tax rate to the east is enticing me more and more.

T. Phillips in Glendora & La Verne is an excellent place to go out to eat and for a beer (a 36 oz beer for $10) and now they are expanding to Monrovia.

ben wideman said...

happy hour is 4-7, and all day on Tuesday. No Marzen on tap... yet?