Tuesday, April 21, 2009

the epic ride.


on saturday i embarked on the most challenging bike ride of my life. i was joined by my wife and 4 of our good friends on a journey into the san gabriel mountain range. we headed out to duarte and headed north on route 39, where we proceeded to climb for 30 miles until we reached highway 2, which we took back down to pasadena.

this picture is a shot of the ladies of our group. if you click on it, you can almost make out three cyclists along the road, just beginning the worst of the climb.

over the next few days i'll share more about our adventure. in the meantime, check out a version of the route we did, and if you are up for a laugh, click on "show elevation". we are hardcore.

9 comments:

Laurie Allee said...

My husband would LOVE this ride!!! You guys are truly hardcore. So, how are those (shaky?) legs feeling today? :-)

Antjas said...

I'm impressed, especially if you did this in the 93 degree or more weather you had recently. If you can do this ride, then certainly you could have run the Boston Marathon yesterday! By the way, is that your sag wagon behind the ladies?

Cafe Pasadena said...

Unbelievable in 100 degree heat! Is this part of a sentence you have to do?

ben wideman said...

Laurie, I'm actually feeling pretty good! My butt is still a little tender, but that is to be expected.

Antjas, fortunately as we climbed the weather got cooler. But the heat was a serious problem. We cooled down at least once in a mountain stream. No sag vehicle - that truck was parked on the closed road - not sure why.

Cafe, it never reached triple digits on Saturday - I think we would have died on Sunday or Monday.

Kathryn L said...

Holy Schmoley!! My knees are hurting just looking at that route!

Kudos to you! I'm gonna stick to my 2k jogs.

ben wideman said...

It's all about low impact K! Cycling saves the knees - especially if you are jogging around on that frozen pavement in the GTA.

Kathryn L said...

I agree it is about the low impact. I'm a swimmer at heart...so forget the frozen pavement here! The lakes are worse! :O

Miranda McAfee said...

Hardcore or Crazy.... um, I'll go with crazy. Much admiration here...

ben wideman said...

ha ha - I'll take that as a compliment!